Access 2016: KB3115501 is causing ‘Reserved error (-7713)’

[German]Some users of Microsoft Access 2016 are facing a nasty error. Access crashes from time to time with a ‘Reserved Error (-7713)’ message. Here are some details about this error and the root cause.


Advertising


Error description

I got the information from German blog reader Axel H., who send me an e-mail. One of his customers have had a nasty error in Microsoft Access 2106. Axel wrote: 

I like to point to a nasty symptom in Microsoft Access 2016. It’s independent from full version of Access or from using only the runtime. One of our customers facing periodic Access 2106 crashes on all workstation within the network. Access crashes multiple times a day with error message: „Reserved error (-7713)“, there are no further details.

Searching the web for this error

I’ve searched the (German) Web for this error, but with no success. Within this forum thread this issue is discussed for Access 2007, but no true solution is given. The best detail I found was, that the user wrote, the error happened during export into text or Excel formats.

Then I searched for ‘Access 2016 error (-7713) 2017’ and found this forum thread from July 2017, reporting, that the bug could be reproduced. And internally at Microsoft a proposal to create a hotfix is under discussion. But no further details.

Update KB3115501 is causing this error

Blog reader Axel mentioned Update KB3115501 and also here and here this update has been mentioned. Within the first link, somebody reported the exact error message as:

Reserved Error (-7713)

Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0011ce7b
Faulting process id: 0x4e8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\MSACCESS.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\ACECORE.DLL

The exception code stands for STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. Within the forum thread somebody mentioned Update KB3115501. After uninstalling this update, the error has been gone. Also this uservoice forum entry reported Update KB3115501 is causing this issue.

Update KB3115501 has been released at Office patchday on May 2, 2017 (see my blog post Office Patchday May 2, 2017) to support dBase im- and export. Axel pointed me to this MSDN forum thread, where this issue has been also discussed.

Similar articles
Office/Outlook und Windows Patchday issues
Outlook issues after June 2017 security updates
Windows 10 Updates KB4023543, KB4022723, KB4032693, KB4032695 (June 2017)Fixing Microsoft Outlook Search Bug after June 2017 Update
Office Patchday (July 5, 2017)
Fixing Microsoft Outlook issues after June 2017 Update
Office Patchday May 2, 2017


Advertising



This entry was posted in Office and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *