Is (Windows RT) Windows Store partially down?

[German]Currently it seems, that some users are facing serious issues with Microsoft’s Windows Store. Here are a few details (what I’ve found out) about that topics so far.

Is Windows Store for Windows RT dead?

It started this morning, when I read a short article from my German Windows Insider MVP colleague Martin Geuß at Dr. Windows. A German reader tipped Martin, that he can’t reach Windows Store with his Windows RT Surface.

Windows Store-Fehler in Windows RT
(Source: Dr. Windows)

The user received the message shown above, saying, that his Windows version isn’t supported anymore from Windows Store.

This version of Windows is no longer supported by Windows Store.

The recommendation to upgrade to a new Windows version isn’t helpful for Windows RT users (they can upgrade from Windows RT to Windows RT 8.1, but that’s the end). Martin Geuß raised the question, whether Microsoft has pulled the Windows Store for Windows RT.

There are more cases

I searched the Internet and found at reddit.com this thread, where a Windows RT user reported 3 days ago the same issue. Some users posted a feedback, that the Windows Store is still reachable in Windows RT. Within this forum thread somebody wrote, that he updates his Surface RT to Windows RT 8.1. After that, the Store app reports:

This version of Windows is no longer supported by Windows Store.

He wasn’t able to access the store anymore. Searching the web, I found more, older incidents, where Windows RT users can’t access the store.

But searching the web, it seems that it’s an issue for more Windows-Platforms. Within the comments of Martin’s article, I found a note, that the issue has been observed for:

Windows Phone 8 / 8.1
Windows RT 8 / 8.1
Windows 8 / 8.1
Windows 10 (1511)

but not all users are affected. Overall it seems that Microsoft’s Store App and Microsoft’s Windows Store is the most unreliable thing ever. Not good news for Windows RT users and imho really bad news for upcoming Windows 10S (S stands for Store only) users. As a rule of thumb: Keep your fingers away from Windows apps and Windows Store.

Addendum: Martin Geuß has posted the issue within US MS Answers forum (thx to Barb Bowman for this tweet and @woodyleonhard). Till now, there is no solution.

It seems that the issue has been fixed – see Windows (RT) 8.1: Is the Windows Store outage fixed?

This entry was posted in issue, Windows and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Is (Windows RT) Windows Store partially down?

1. Kat says:

I’ve been experiencing the Windows Store App as being unsupported about 3 days ago. I’m not sure if this anomaly is the result of the latest (Aug) Patch Tuesday. Doesn’t appear to be a WS cache issue since running wsreset.exe fails to rectify the problem. This problem only appears on my W8.1 (32-bit) system.

2. Slavich says:

We got the same problem with few tablets in Ukraine for 2-3 days ago 🙁

3. sridhar joshua says:

im having the same issue with my lumia 2520 Rt from 17th august. i did search and tried everything found on internet but nothing worked. store is still showing THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY STORE. i dont think it will work again. did microsoft betray its RT users?

4. Roald says:

We have the same problem on several windows 8.1 computers (64 bit). But some are working fine with the same setup. The common parameter for the ones failing is that there has been a long time since they were online, and thus have not been updated for a while…

5. cbEZ says:

I bought this thing a week ago!!! Was working great until this happened. Thought I could do a hard reset to solve it. Nope… now I have no apps or games. Thanks for dropping your customers out of the blue, Microsoft. I’m going back to android. Where they keep all versions alive. This is bs.

6. lkpalwa says:

still no respons from Microsoft?

7. Aemt98 says:

Answer from Microsoft (8/21/2017 9:33:16 AM): This is a known bug in Surface RT running Windows 8.1. Our Support Engineers are currently looking into it and are doing their best to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. We’ll keep you updated via this thread once a fix has been released.

8. cbEZ says:

Thanks

9. Tayfer says:

I’m experiencing the same issue in Italy with my Lumia 640 lte with Windows 8.1 upgrade 2 installed. Three days now without being able to download or update any app. And no official thread open by MS. This is the only site I’ve found to report the situation, so thanks guys.

10. Dirk says:

Hi guys,

Microsoft solved the issue. The Store is working again on all my Surface RT tablets.

Cheers,
    Dirk

11. cbEZ says:

Confirmed. It has been patched. Thanks Microsoft.