[German]On October 2, 2018, Microsoft released its On Premise solution Microsoft Office 2019. The packages are available in online shops, and I have also seen a variant in my MSDN account. Here is an overview, what to know about Microsoft Office 2019.
Some remarks about Office 2019
The availability of Office 2019 was announced by Microsoft during Ignite 2018, late September 2018. But the new version was only available to volume license customers. On September 24, 2018, I reported the availability of Microsoft Office 2019 (see Microsoft Office 2019 freigegeben within my German blog).
On Premise for Windows and macOS
On Premise means ‘within the fence’, i.e. an Office solution that can be installed locally on the computers of companies or users (the opposite would be a complete cloud solution). Microsoft Office 2019 is aimed at all users and companies who are looking for a ‘purchase version’ (pay once, use to the end of life or beyond) and do not want to use Office 365 as a rental / subscription model.
Office 2019 is installable only via a Click 2 Run Installer (C2R) on Windows 10 machines (and it’s available on macOS). Microsoft justifies this step to use C2R technology with cost reduction and improved security.
- Among the benefits of C2R listed by Microsoft are predictable monthly security updates, current apps at installation, reduced networking requirements through optimization technology for Windows 10 downloads, and a simple upgrade path to Office 365 ProPlus.
- C2R offers the same enterprise-oriented management features as Microsoft Installer (MSI)-based products and also supports in-place upgrades when you move from older MSI-based products to Office 2019.
Microsoft has published the Office 2019 Click-to-Run FAQ. Office 2019 is also the Office version that only runs on Windows 10 (and macOS). It consists of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Access, Project and Viso. Project 2019, Visio 2019, Access 2019 and Publisher 2019 are only available for Windows 10 (not for macOS). Some additional details can be found in Office 2019 FAQ from Microsoft.
You can inform yourself about the new features of Office 2019 within this Microsoft document and within this document. To deploy Office 2018 in companies with a choice of installation options, Microsoft offers the Office Deployment Tool (see this Microsoft page).
What Office 2019 versions are available?
I find it difficult to obtain an overview, which Office 2019 version fits for some cases. I haven’t really found a site with fast and transparent information at Microsoft yet. The official Microsoft Office site wants to sell Office 365 models. This document also doesn’t reveal anything about the SKUs. Through software vendors like Amazon, the Microsoft document Overview of Office 2019 (for IT Pros) and MSDN, I’ve picked out the following product variants.
- Office Home & Student 2019: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote for private use on a PC or Mac
- Office 2019 Home & Business multilingual: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote for business and private use on a PC or Mac
- Office Professional 2019: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook plus Publisher and Access.
- Office Professional Plus 2019: In my opinion only available for companies – I have seen it in my MSDN subscription. The package includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Access, Lync and Office Web App licenses.
And there are hints, that an Office Standard 2019 exists. In my taste, Microsoft hasn’t really done a good job when it comes to communication. Office 2019 is something the ‘Cinderella’, because they want to bring the subscription version Office 365 to the customers.
OneNote is the 2016 version, since the desktop version is not being further developed. Microsoft relies on the Windows 10 app.
Requirements for Office Plus 2019 Professional
Computer and Processor: x86/x64 processor with at least 1 GHz and SSE2 instruction set
RAM: 1 GB RAM for 32 bit; 2 GB RAM for 64 bit
Disk: 3,0 GB free
Display: Monitor with von 1.366 × 768 pixels
OS: Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 and .NET 3.5 or above
Graphics: The hardware acceleration requires a graphics card with DirectX 10.
Other requirements: Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10; Firefox 10.x or later; Safari 5 (Mac) or Chrome 17.x.
Where to obtain Office 2019?
Amazon can be a point of sale for private users and small companies. Or you can search in the Microsoft Store.
If you have an MSDN subscription, you can get a license key and then download Office Professional Plus 2019 as C2R or DVD (ISO image, 3.3 GByte in 32-bit version). Since today (October 3, 2018) these offers are fully available (yesterday evening, 2.10, there was only one C2R download in English).
If you have license keys for the Office 2019 packages or individual products, you can also download the installation files via Adguard (see screenshot above). But I didn’t test this approach.