[German]The developers of Virtualbox released version 6.0 on December 18, 2018. It is a major release which provides new features in the virtualization solution.
Changes to VirtualBox 6.0.0
Version 6.0.0 is an update to the a new major version. According to the changelog the following is new.
- Implemented support for exporting a virtual machine to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- User interface: greatly improved HiDPI and scaling support, including better detection and per-machine configuration
- Major rework of user interface with simpler and more powerful application and virtual machine set-up
- User interface: a new file manager enabling user to control the guest file system and copy files between host and guest.
- Graphics: major update of 3D graphics support for Windows guests, and VMSVGA 3D graphics device emulation on Linux and Solaris guests
- Added support for surround speaker setups (as used by Windows 10 Build 1809)
- Added utility vboximg-mount on Apple hosts to access the content of guest disks on the host
- Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance
According to the changelog the following is fixed or added.
- Execution core: fixed single-stepping in certain circumstances (bug #17316)
- User interface: video and audio recording can now be separately enabled
- Audio/Video recording fixes and improvements
- Audio: better support for attaching and detaching remote desktop connections
- Serial port emulation fixes
- Serial ports: allow changing the serial port attachment while a machine is running (bug #6115)
- Networking: Added a workaround for older guests which do not enable bus mastering for the virtio PCI device
- Networking: fixed wrong RCODE from DNS AAAA query with –natdnshostresolver1 (bug #18171)
- iSCSI: In cases where there is no ambiguity, the LUN of an iSCSI target is automatically determined, for targets with non-zero LUNs
- Transparently resize disk images when merging if possible
- VBoxManage: support for DHCP options
- Fixed VNC/RDP (bug 18153)
- Guest Control: various new interfaces and features (see SDK documentation)
- Linux hosts: support Linux 4.20 (thank you Larry Finger)
- Solaris: installer fixes
- Shared folders: performance improvements
- Guest Additions: improved shared folder auto-mounting
- Windows Guest Additions: fix incorrect tablet co-ordinate handling with recent Windows 10 builds
- Linux Additions: fix for building vboxvideo on EL 7.6 standard kernel, contributed by Robert Conde (bug #18093)
- Linux guests: support Linux 4.20 (thank you Larry Finger)
- Linux guests: support VMSVGA in the Linux and X11 Additions
- MacOS Guest Additions: initial support
- OS/2 Guest Additions: initial shared folder support
- BIOS fixes
- ACPI: Up to four custom ACPI tables can now be configured for a VM
The new version of the virtualization software can be downloaded for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux from this download page. Please note that an updated version of the VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack must also be downloaded and installed. VirtualBox can be used freely, but there are special license terms for the Extension Pack.