[German]Quick note for users who use VMware products for virtualization. Blog reader Robert G. just emailed me to let me know (thanks for that) that VMware must have released a new build for VMware Tools 12.
new version of VMWare Tools 12.0.
unfortunately you get this only by chance resp. I didn't find the right RSS feed yet…
Evergreen had this file on offer earlier: VMware-tools-12.0.0-19345655-x86_64.exe
My test system with Server2019 wanted to reboot although the latest VC++ Runtime was already installed.
The VC++ Runtime is a prerequisite for VMware Tools 12.0 on Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and higher versions. The release notes state that build 19345655 of VMware Tools 12 was released on 3/1/2022. Regarding the new features, it says:
- Support for managing Salt Minion through guest variables. See Enable Salt Minion Using VMware Tools.
- Added Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022 support.
- OpenSSL version is updated to 3.0.0.
- Support for gathering and publishing list of containers running inside Linux guests. See Configure ContainerInfo for Linux.
his release fixes the CVE-2022-22943 vulnerability (see also VMSA-2022-0007). Prerequisite for using VMware Tools 12 with windows.iso files is:
- Windows Server 2022
- Windows 11
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012 R2 with Microsoft's update KB2919355
- Windows 8.1 with Microsoft's update KB2919355
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows 8
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) with Microsoft's update KB4474419.
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) with Microsoft's update KB4474419.
For darwin.iso files, Mac OS X version 10.11 and later is supported. For linux.iso files, one should consult this VMware document.
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings