[German]The developers of the email client Thunderbird have already released version 68.0 on August 27, 2019. This is the next major version of the email client. Here are a brief overview what has been changed.
The main version brings some optimizations and fixes, some of which are known from Firefox. The release notes list the following new features.
- File link attachments can now be linked to again instead of uploading them again
- Mark all folders of an account as read
- Run filters periodically. Improved filter logging.
- OAuth2 authentication for Yandex
- Language packs can now be selected in the Advanced Options. Preference intl.multilingual.enabled needs to be set (and possily also extensions.langpacks.signatures.required needs to be set to false
- On Windows a 64bit installer and MSI package are now available, see the Thunderbird for Organisations page for details
- Added a policy engine that allows customized Thunderbird deployments in enterprise environments, using Windows Group Policy or a cross-platform JSON file
- TCP keepalive for IMAP protocol
- Full Unicode support for MAPI interfaces: New support for MAPISendMailW
- To protect your profile data against a downgrade, Thunderbird 68 may display a message “You have launched an older version of Thunderbird” and will not allow opening a specific profile. Workaround: start with option –allow-downgrade. See this support article for details.
- Calendar: Time zone data can now include past and future changes. All known time zone changes from 2018 to 2022 are included.
- Chat: In each conversation an individual spellcheck language can be selected now
The notes on changes are important. Add-ons are only supported in Thunderbird 68 if their developers have adapted them to the new version. In addition, the developers list a number of other changes and fixes in the release notes . Thunderbird 68.0 is now available for direct download for all supported systems.