[German]Mozilla’s developers have released the version 75.0.0 and the version and 68.7.0esr of the Firefox browser on April 7, 2020. These are new major updates for the browser. Addition: Information from the release notes added.
Blog reader gliba has pointed out the browser update in this comment – thank you very much. I have tested Firefox in the portable version as of April 7, 2020 – version 75 was offered to me and I was able to update.
The release notes indicate that the new major version includes a number of improvements such as a smarter and faster search. A new address bar has been introduced for this purpose.
- Refreshed look and feel: The address bar is enlarged whenever a search is to be performed. This is designed to make searching easier with a single view with larger fonts, shorter URLs, resizing to multiple sizes, and a link to the most popular sites.
- More intelligent searches: When users search for a term (for example, “standing desk”), additional popular keywords that a user may not have thought of are highlighted in bold to further narrow the search.
- Top sites within reach: With a single click in the address bar, users can access the most visited websites.
The Mozilla developers list the following changes and improvements in the browser as new features.
- The previously mentioned, improved search for fFocused, clean search results optimized for smaller laptop screens
- The top sites now appear when you select the address
- Improved readability of search suggestions with focus on new search terms
- The suggestions include solutions to common problems with Firefox
On Linux, the behavior when clicking the address bar and the search bar now corresponds to other desktop platforms: A single click selects all without primary selection, a double click selects one word, and a triple click selects all with primary selection. The following changes are also listed
- Firefox 74 caches locally all trusted Web PKI Certificate Authority certificates known to Mozilla. This improves HTTPS compatibility with incorrectly configured web servers and increases security.
- Firefox is now also available in Flatpak, an easier way to install and use Firefox on Linux.
- Direct Composition is integrated for our users on Windows to improve performance and enable our ongoing work to deliver WebRender on Windows 10 laptops with Intel graphics cards.
Other new features are available for enterprise environments according to the release notes. Firefox 75 includes the security fixes listed on this website. Some of these fixes are classified as ‘High’, others as ‘Moderate’. The browser can be updated via the help menu and About Firefox (worked fine here). The new Firefox is also available for download here for various platforms. Alternatively you can download the browser via FTP.
There is also a new Tor browser 9.0.8, that includes security fixes for Firefox browser, as mentioned here.
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings