When the degoo bot closes your lifelong account …

[German]I'd have one more for the end of Sunday. It's about a user, whose 'lifelong' user account was closed 'because of copyright infringement'.

Within the the blog post Stop: Arbitrary blocking of Microsoft Accounts I had recently mentioned, that Microsoft may deactivate your private Microsoft Account without a warning. Then you are digitally wiped wit your existence. Even an image on OneDrive can trigger such an action, as I explain in the article Microsoft's account suspensions and the OneDrive 'nude' photos.

What is Degoo

Degoo is a cloud service that advertises 'Life's best memories – AI based cloud storage that helps you rediscover your best photos' – see the following screenshot.

Degoo-Webseite

They advertise 10 TB of storage in the cloud and some other stuff. An account is auickly created…

… and your account is gone.

Blog reader Markus K. has often provided me with interesting information (mostly for Windows admins) for the blog here. The days a nice mail came in, which fits exactly into the grid 'you bet on the cloud until you betray'. Markus K. has a user account at Degoo and probably stored some data there. Now his user account was locked.

Dear Günter,

have a lifetime subscription there and yes, you could have read the package insert carefully, but I deliberately didn't upload the files.

I'll save the appeal right now. What I'm more interested in is, will the data be deleted according to DSGVO and all of them?

As far as the DSGVO is concerned, the question arises to me, who could have fulfilled this at all and if the contract would not have had to be dissolved anyway and money back?

Probably just a cheap way out, the main thing is to get rid of some annoying "lifetime subscriptions".

Deleting the account at once can be quite a pain in the ass. Could it understand if said files are deleted and a warning is issued.

Sounds almost like dictatorial methods.

What keeps Markus busy is the following notification by the Degoo bot that a copyright violation by uploaded files is claimed on his memory.

Degoo Bot Copyright-Verletzung-Mitteilung

I have blurrred files that were criticized unrecognizable to protect the user. So the bot has found files in a private cloud, which he claims to violate the copyright of a third party. The account (in this case it was granted life-long access) the user account will be closed within 2 weeks. You can still file an appeal. But Markus K. writes that he does not consider this to be reasonable.

The question that concerns him: What actually happens to the data? Will it be deleted correctly according to DSGVO? All in all, this case shows once again how shaky the whole cloud stuff is.

Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings

This entry was posted in General and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to When the degoo bot closes your lifelong account …

1. Phil Konstantin says:

They have now blocked my paid for 10TB plan, and reverted it to their free 100GB plan. They will not respond to any of my e-mails or support tickets.

2. Sax says:

My office also got a similar warning. Many of these files are also on Google cloud but I've never had any problems and plays on Google Play. Power trip by this upstart. I'm sorry I don't want anyone going through my files one bit.

The whole cloud thing especially with degoo or whatever this is named is done far as my office is concerned and me

3. Rohan says:

I got the same email and all my files have vanished from the account and all traces removed that I was a lifelong account holder – Just reverted to a free account – the settings show that there is 55 GB of data on the account, but I cannot see any of it in the Web App.

For the most part, I had purchased the data that is being classified as 'copyright violation' by the bot

4. Advertising

5. sandro says:

For me, the same situation.
    I have a lifetime subscription, and Degoo changed it to a free account. I've received the same message about a Degoo Bot… I've opened tickets to support, and no answer comes from Degoo. It is disgustful.

6. Mohsin says:

Same happened to me a month ago but the worst thing was that I was so unfortunate as my HDD also crashed this week and now I don't have any data, I have raised a ticket and hoping to get my data. I have requested access for a short period to recover my data.

7. Moumita Aich says:

I don't know what happened. Suddenly all the photos are gone and my account is been locked without any notification or anything else. This is not good. I trusted Degoo. All my memories are there. Please I want them back…

8. Nauman says:

I was a user of Degoo since last many years. But recently, they deleted my account without any prior intimation. Bad service. Totally unreliable

9. Shashank Dubey says:

I received a mail saying that my account will be terminated but then proceding that, I get same mail saying my account was not in violation so I don't have to do anything and it will not be terminated. But after that, all of my data was gone, I asked customer care to run the restore program, post that, only metadata was restored, meaning, "thumbnails". They deleted my Late Mother's pics and videos without my permission and without giving me warning about deletion.

10. moni says:

the same happened to me. I lost many valuable and photos and other files. Pictures I'd been compiling as evidence for a lawsuit against my slumlord landlord, beloved family members and friends and pets who have passed away…im extremely upset over this and until finding this website now, could not find anyone else who experienced the same problems with degoo…is this legal? has anyone considered a lawsuit? i dint really know if thats even possible in this case but i think what they're doing is so terrible and that they should be held responsible in some way….I couldn't even get them respond to multiple emails, there's no phone number for contact, it's ridiculous. It's like, do these degoo people even exist? why can't they respond? feeling helpless… :(

11. Saif Khan says:

Same story here. Can these guys be sued?

12. book says:

contact me when there is a class action lawsuit

parismexico at protonmail (.com)