[German]Mozilla's developers have released the version 81.0.0, the Firefox browser, as well as the 78.3.0 esr, on September 22, 2020. Firefox 81 is a new development branch, which is intended to fix both vulnerabilities and bugs.
The release notes for version 22.214.171.124 state that this version contains the following new features and should fix bugs.
- You can pause and play audio or video data in Firefox directly from your keyboard or headset. This gives you easy access to your media when you are in another Firefox tab or program, or even when your computer is locked.
- In addition to the standard dark and light themes, Firefox introduces the Alpenglow theme with this version: a colorful look for buttons, menus and windows. You can update your Firefox themes under Settings or Preferences.
- For users in the U.S. and Canada, Firefox can now store, manage and automatically fill out credit card information, making shopping with Firefox even more convenient. This will be gradually extended to users to ensure the smoothest possible experience.
- Firefox supports AcroForm, which will soon allow you to fill out, print and save supported PDF forms, and the PDF viewer also has a fresh new look.
- Users in Austria, Belgium and Switzerland who use the German version of Firefox will now see Pocket recommendations with some of the best stories on the web in their new Pocket tab. If you don't see them, you can activate Pocket articles in your new tab by following these steps. In addition to Firefox's new tab, Pocket is also available as an app for iOS and Android.
Native HTML5 audio/video browser controls received several important accessibility fixes. Here are the fixes:
- Audio/video controls remain accessible to screen readers even if they are temporarily visually hidden.
- Elapsed audio/video time and total time are now accessible to screen readers where they were not previously available.
- Various unlabeled controls are now labeled so that they are identifiable to screen readers.
- Screen readers no longer obtrusively report progress information unless the user requests it.
he developers have also fixed several vulnerabilities, including a use after free vulnerability in WebGL. An overview of the security fixes can be found here. Firefox 81 also comes with the following changes:
- Soon you'll find Picture-in-Picture easier to find on all the videos you watch with the new iconography.
- The Bookmarks toolbar now appears automatically when bookmarks are imported into Firefox, making it easier to find your most important websites.
- We've expanded our supported file types – .xml, .svg, and .webp – so that files you download can be opened directly in Firefox.
A number of bug fixes and new policies have been implemented for the corporate environment. For more details, see the Firefox for Enterprise 81 release notes.
Firefox 78.3.0 esr
An update of Firefox 78.30 esr with one year long term support was also offered with the same bug fixes and eliminated vulnerabilities. Firefox 81.0.0 and 78.3.0 can be downloaded from this website (the variant can be selected from the displayed list boxes). The updates are also available for direct download
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings