[German]Interesting information I just came across. Chromebook sales with Chrome OS surpassed Apple Mac unit sales for the first time in 2020. And Chromebooks are gaining market share at the expense of Microsoft Windows.
It can probably be considered a success for Google that Chromebooks are outpacing Apple Macs and scratching at Windows' market share. Geekwire has published the following figures from an IDC report.
- In Q1 2020, Windows came in at 87.5% market share, macOS at 5.8%, and Chrome OS at 5.3%.
- In Q2 2020, Windows fell to 81.7%, macOS grew to 7.6%, and Chrome OS reached 10.0%.
- In Q3 2020, Windows dropped to 78.9%, macOS grew to 8.4%, and Chrome OS reached 11.5%.
- Then in Q4 2020, Windows fell 76.7%, while macOS fell again to 7.7%. Chrome OS reached 14.4%.
Here's the year-over-year breakdown (IDC's numbers include desktops, laptops and workstations):
- Windows: down 4.9 points, from 85.4% in 2019 to 80.5% in 2020
- Chrome OS: up 4.4 points, from 6.4% in 2019 to 10.8% in 2020
- macOS: up 0.8 points, from 6.7% in 2019 to 7.5% in 2020
In 2020, Chromebooks outperformed Mac in three quarters. This success of Chromebooks is attributed to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, where schools and parents sought affordable notebooks for students.
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings