[German]The Mozilla developers have released the versions 110.0 and 102.8.0 ESR of the Firefox browser on February 14, 2023. The ESR versions are maintenance updates that are supposed to fix bugs. Firefox 110 is a new development branch. In both updates, vulnerabilities are fixed. Thanks to the reader for the tip.
Firefox 110 is a new development branch that, according to the release notes, brings the new features listed below.
- It is now possible to import bookmarks, history and passwords not only from Edge, Chrome or Safari, but also from Opera, Opera GX and Vivaldi for those who want to switch to Firefox instead!
- GPU sandboxing has been enabled on Windows.
Note: A bug in the popular X-Mouse Button Control (XMBC) tool can cause mouse wheel scrolling to stop working. The author(s) are working on an update. In the meantime, scrolling can be restored by reconfiguring XMBC: Either disable the Show scroll wheel under mouse pointer option in the global settings or enable the Disable scroll window under mouse pointer option if you are using a custom profile for Firefox.
- On Windows, third-party modules can now be prevented from injecting themselves into Firefox, which can be helpful if they cause crashes or other unwanted behavior.
- Date, time, and date-dependent input fields can now be cleared using the keyboard shortcuts Cmd+Backspace and Cmd+Delete on macOS, and Ctrl+Backspace and Ctrl+Delete on Windows and Linux.
- GPU-accelerated Canvas2D is enabled by default on macOS and Linux.
- Improve WebGL performance on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Enables overlaying hardware-decoded video with non-Intel GPUs on Windows 10/11, improving video playback performance and video scaling quality..
In addition, several changes have been made in the new version of Firefox.
- Colorways are no longer available in Firefox, at least not in the same way. You can still access your saved and active Colorways by selecting Add-ons and Themes from the Firefox menu. Also, you can now install Colorways from any of the previous collections by visiting Colorways by Firefox on the Mozilla Add-ons website.
Several bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the Enterprise variant (see). The new Firefox also fixes vulnerabilities, with some rated as high. The list of vulnerabilities (some rated as high) can be found on this page.
Firefox 102.8 ESR
Also the versions 102.8 with long-term support (ESR) was released and closes two security holes. Firefox should update itself automatically in all versions, but can be downloaded from this website for various platforms (the variant is to be selected via the displayed list boxes).
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings