[German]Microsoft has released the optional cumulative (preview) update KB5026436 for Windows 11 version 21H2 on May 23, 2023. There are a number of new features and especially a long list of bug fixes (for printers, for search, for LSASS, for login etc.). Below I give an overview regarding these updates for Windows 11.
It should be noted that this update is a so-called preview update. This is optional and by default must be manually triggered to download and install. It contains the fixes that will be rolled out in the security update for the following month. The list of updates for Windows 11 21H2 can be viewed on this Microsoft page.
Preview update KB5026436 for Windows 11 21H2
Preview updat KB5026436 is available for Windows 11 version 21H2, which raises the OS build to 22000.2003 and provides a number of fixes for these Windows versions. Here are what are called highlights below, changes and fixes:
- This update addresses an issue that affects Narrator. It now announces text attributes correctly for words, such as "misspelled," "deletion change," and "comment."
- This update addresses an issue that affects access to Tab settings for IE mode sites.
- This update addresses an issue that affects certain printers. They fail to install if they connect to Wi-Fi automatically.
- This update addresses a multi-function label printer issue. It affects the installation of some of them.
- This update addresses an issue that affects audio playback. It fails on devices that have certain processors.
- This update improves the user experience (UX) and interactions for the search box on the taskbar.
Microsoft states the following improvements and fixes that the update makes in the support article:
- This update addresses an issue that affects searchindexer.exe. It stops working after you sign out. This issue occurs after you upgrade your machine to Windows 11 Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD) and sign in to that machine.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Server Message Block (SMB). You cannot access the SMB shared folder. The errors are, "Not enough memory resources" or "Insufficient system resources".
- The update addresses an issue that sends unexpected password expiration notices to users. This occurs when you set up an account to use "Smart Card is Required for Interactive Logon" and set "Enable rolling of expiring NTLM secrets."
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS). It stops working. This occurs when you use Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD).
- The update addresses an issue that affects scheduled tasks. The tasks fail when they use stored local user account credentials. This occurs when you enable Credential Guard. The error message is "2147943726 : ERROR_LOGON_FAILURE (The user name or password is incorrect)."
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Storage Spaces Direct (S2D) cluster. It might not come online. This occurs after a periodic password rollover. The error code is 1326.
- This update addresses an issue that affects dot sourcing. It fails files that contain class definition in Windows PowerShell.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the use of Event Viewer. The issue limits the number of event sources that users who are not administrators can access.
- This update addresses an issue that affects applications that perform certain actions in a callback. The applications might stop working. These actions include closing a Window (WM_CLOSE).
- This update changes the support phone number for Microsoft India for Windows activation.
- This update changes the international mobile subscriber identity (IMSI) ranges for certain mobile providers.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Windows Firewall. The firewall drops all connections to the IP address of a captive portal. This occurs when you choose the Captive Portal Addresses option.
- This update addresses an issue that affects devices that are joined to Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). The Windows Firewall cannot apply the correct domain and profile for them.
- This update addresses an issue that might affect a large reparse point. You might get a stop error when you use NTFS to access it. This issue occurs after a canceled FSCTL Set operation changes the reparse tag.
These new features and fixes will be integrated in the security update for the following month. The preview update is optional and is only offered when the user explicitly selects optional updates for installation in the settings page. The update can also be downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Update Catalog. The latest Servicing Stack Update (SSU) is included to fix various issues. Further details, e.g. about the installation requirements, can be found in the support article in case of doubt. The possibly known problems are also listed there.
Microsoft Security Update Summary (May 9, 2023)
Patchday: Windows 10-Updates (May 9, 2023)
Patchday: Windows 11/Server 2022-Updates (May 9, 2023)
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2; Server 2012 R2: Updates (May 9, 2023)
Patchday: Microsoft Office Updates (May 9, 2023)
Microsoft Office Updates (May 2, 2023)
Windows 10 22H2 Preview Update KB5026435 (May 23, 2023)
Windows 11 21H2 Preview Update KB5026436 (May 23, 2023)
Windows 11 21H2: Preview (Feature) Update KB5026446 (May 24, 2023)
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings