[German]Microsoft has released an optional cumulative (preview) update KB5029331 for Windows 10 22H2 as of August 22, 2023 (D-Week). This is supposed to fix numerous bugs in Windows 10 22H2. Below I provide an overview regarding these updates for Windows 10. The information about the updates can be found in the Windows 10 update history page. It should be noted that these updates are so-called preview updates. These are optional and must be manually triggered for download and installation by default. After March 2023, there will be no optional, non-security preview updates for supported editions of Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 21H2. Only cumulative monthly security updates (known as a "B" or Update Tuesday release) will continue for these versions. Windows 10, version 22H2 will continue to receive security and optional releases. In addition, preview updates will now ship in the fourth week of the month (D-Week) (see Optional Windows updates from April 2023 in 4th week of the month).
Windows 10 Preview Update KB5029331
Cumulative Preview update KB5029331 is available for Windows 10 version 22H2 (all versions) and raises the build to 19045.3393. Here are the highlights of what has been fixed.
- New! This update improves how Windows detects your location. This helps to give you better weather, news, and traffic information.
- New! This update expands the roll out of notification badging for Microsoft accounts on the Start menu. A Microsoft account is what connects Windows to your Microsoft apps. The account backs up all your data and helps you to manage your subscriptions. You can also add extra security steps to keep you from being locked out of your account. This feature gives you quick access to important account-related notifications.
- This update supports daylight saving time (DST) changes in Israel.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the display of the search box.
- This update addresses an issue that affects settings. They do not sync even if you turn on the toggle on the Windows backup page in the Settings app.
Below is the list of quality improvements and fixes Microsoft claims for the update (these will go into the security update for the following month).
- New! This update adds the Windows Backup app to your device.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Group Policy Service. It will not wait for 30 seconds, which is the default wait time, for the network to be available. Because of this, policies are not correctly processed.
- This update adds a new API for D3D12 Independent Devices. You can use it to create multiple D3D12 devices on the same adapter. To learn more, see D3D12 Independent Devices.
- This update addresses an issue that affects an app that simulates keyboard input. That app might not send Japanese characters to other apps.
- This update addresses an issue that affects a WS_EX_LAYERED window. The window might render with the wrong dimensions or at the wrong position. This occurs when you scale the display screen.
- This update addresses an issue that affects print jobs that are sent to a virtual print queue. They fail without an error.
- This update addresses an issue that affects disk partitions. The system might stop working. This occurs after you delete a disk partition and add the space from the deleted partition to an existing BitLocker partition.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Remote Desktop (RD) sessions. They disconnect when multiple apps are in use.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Resultant Set of Policy (RSOP). The Windows LAPS "BackupDirectory" policy setting was not being reported. This occurs when the setting is set to 1, which is "Back up to AAD."
- This update addresses a known issue that affects ClickOnce. Apps that you used ClickOnce to deploy might begin to prompt for installation. This occurs even when the ClickOnce apps are already installed and marked as "trusted".
- The update addresses an issue that affects those who use Windows Update for Business. After you are asked to change your password at sign in, the change operation fails. Then you cannot sign in. The error code is 0xc000006d.
The update is optional and is only offered via Windows Update when the user explicitly checks for updates in the settings page and then selects the optional update to download and install. The update can also be downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Update Catalog. The latest Servicing Stack Update (SSU) is integrated. Microsoft lists known issues with this update in the support article. Further details, including the prerequisites for an installation, can be found in the support article in case of doubt.
Microsoft Security Update Summary (August 8, 2023)
Patchday: Windows 10 Updates (August 8, 2023)
Patchday: Windows 11/Server 2022 Updates (August 8, 2023)
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2; Server 2012 R2: Updates (August 8, 2023)
Microsoft Office Updates (August 8, 2023)
Exchange Server Security Updates (August 8, 2023)
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings