[German]Recently I stumbled upon a strange error. My Google Chrome browser suddenly refuse to play YouTube videos. I got an error code 400. Here are a few hints how to solve this issue.
Description of the error
I've created some blog posts during the day and I've opened a lot of YouTube pages, to check some videos. Everything was ok. Then I interrupted my work and invoked Windows 7 power saving mode. Later on I decided to continue my work. But during an attempt, to play a YouTube video, I received the following error page.
400. That's an error.
Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request. That's all we know.
My attempt, to show a blog post with an integrated YouTube video, the section with this video was blank. No error message are displayed. Then I checked the situation with Slimjet portable. This browser was able to play the videos, so Windows could not be the cause.
How to fix error 400?
In a first step I tried the usual approaches: I terminated one of the numerous Google Chrome tasks in Windows Task Manager. Google Chrome then terminated the remaining processes and was closed. But after rebooting the browser, I was still unable to display videos.
Then I tried to delete the browser data in cache (without cookies), but wasn't successful. At this point I searched the Internet and came across many hits, one within the Google Chrome product forum (see). The article has been viewed more than 10.000 times – it seems, that this issues is wide spread. One user mentioned, that he found a way, to delete the cookies for Youtube.com in browser cache. Here are the steps provides within the Chrome forum:
1. Use the cookies remove function in Google Chrome Settings. Therefor go to Settings > [Advance] > Privacy and security > Content settings
2. Then expand the Cookies entry within Content settings
3. Enter youtube.com into the search box shown below and delete all YouTube cookies found within the browser.
A bit more simple may be to type chrome: // settings/siteData into the browser's address bar and search for YouTube (see here). Then delete all YouTube cookie entries and try to view a YouTube video.
In my case, the settings tab shown within chrome didn't work well. Suddenly I didn't see any cookies, and the tab was dead. After closing the tab, I was able to view YouTube videos again for half an hour. Then the incident came back, so I deleted all cookies stored within the case. Then the issue has been fixed.
Too many Cookies?
After publishing the blog post, another German blog reader came back with a similar observation in Firefox. He wrote:
I know similar things from Firefox – using my website with WordPress and using the plugin Wordfence Security. About every half year I can't access my WP login page anymore with a similar error message.
Since all associated Cookies are sent with the request of the web page, the amount of data becomes too large. Obviously the HTTP header increased in such a way that it becomes sometime too big for the addressed web server. After deleting these cookies, it works again for a longer period of time. I don't have to delete all cookies of the domain but only enough of these unnecessary remnants of previous sessions.
Maybe it's an explanation, why I run into this issue. I've already opened some YouTube tabs and send Windows 7 into energy saving mode. Then I re-invoked the machine at a later time. It seems, that the browser's cookies has been damaged during this operation. That remembers me, that I have some issues displaying some Microsoft Answers forum pages. I receive an error in Chrome, that the page isn't viewable. Testing it with other browsers shows me always, that the pages are reachable. After deleting the browser's Cookie cache, I was able to reach the MS answers forum.
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings