[German]Mozilla's developers have released versions 88.0.0 and 78.10.0 of the Firefox browser on April 19, 2021. This is a new development branch for FF 88 and a security update for the ESR, which fixes vulnerabilities and bugs.
According to the release notes, version 88.0.0 brings some changes like FTP mode disabled by default. Here is an overview of the new features:
- Printing updates: Margin units are now localized (i.e. millimeters instead of inches).
- Smooth pinch zooming with a touchpad is now supported on Linux.
- To protect against cross-site privacy leaks, Firefox now isolates window.name data to the site that created it.
Also fixed the bug that screen readers no longer incorrectly read content from web pages that are visually hidden (such as articles in the Google Help section). In addition, some critical security vulnerabilities rated as high or moderate have been fixed in the new version. Details can be read here. Compared to previous versions of Firefox, there are the following changes:
- Firefox will no longer prompt you to access your microphone or camera if you have already granted access to the same device on the same website in the same tab within the last 50 seconds. This new grace period reduces the number of prompts to grant device access.
- The Take Screenshot feature has been removed from the Page Actions menu in the url bar. To take a screenshot, right-click to open the context menu. You can also add a screenshot shortcut directly to your toolbar from the Customize menu. Open the Firefox menu and select Customize….
- FTP support has been disabled, and its complete removal is planned for an upcoming release. Fixing this security risk reduces the likelihood of an attack while removing support for an unencrypted protocol.
Several bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. For more details, see the Firefox for Enterprise 88 release notes.
Firefox 78.10.0 esr
An update of Firefox 78.10.0 esr with one year of long-term support with the same fixed vulnerabilities has also been provided. The new Firefox and the ESR variant can be downloaded from this web page (the variant is to be selected via the displayed list boxes).
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings