[German]Microsoft has released an optional cumulative (preview) update KB5015879 for Windows Server 2022 as of July 19, 2022 (C-Week), in addition to preview updates for Windows 10 and Windows 11. Below I provide an overview regarding these updates for Windows Server 2022.
It should be noted that this update is a so-called preview or preview update. These updates are optional and must be manually triggered for download and installation by default.
Preview updates Windows Server 2022
The update history for Windows Server 2022 is available on this web page. The following preview updates have been published for Windows Server 2022.
Update KB5015879 for Windows Server 2022
The cumulative preview update KB5015879 raises the OS build to 20348.859. According to Microsoft, the preview update contains the following fixes:
- Improves the reliability of a push-button reset after an OS upgrade.
- Addresses an issue that makes the tenant restrictions event logging channel inaccessible if you remove the EN-US language pack.
- Updates the Remove-Item cmdlet to properly interact with Microsoft OneDrive folders.
- Addresses an issue that prevents certain troubleshooting tools from opening.
- Addresses an issue that causes port mapping conflicts for containers.
- Addresses an issue that causes Code Integrity to continue trusting a file after the file has been modified.
- Addresses an issue that might cause Windows to stop working when you enable Windows Defender Application Control with the Intelligent Security Graph feature turned on.
- Addresses an issue that triggers lockout policies faster when you use Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) with fast reconnect and Network Level Authentication (NLA) is disabled. This issue occurs when you call LogonUser() with a blank password.
- Provides the option to configure an alternate login ID for an Azure Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) adapter for on-premises scenarios. You can disable the alternate login ID as required. To configure the Azure MFA ADFS adapter to ignore an alternate login ID, run the following PowerShell command
- Set-AdfsAzureMfaTenant -TenantId '<TenandID>' -ClientId '<ClientID>' -IgnoreAlternateLoginId $true.
- To restart the ADFS service on each server in the farm, use the Restart-Service adfssrv PowerShell command.
- By default, the adapter configuration will not ignore alternate login ID (IgnoreAlternateLoginId = $false) unless explicitly set to $true as in the command above.
- Reduces the overhead of resource contention in high input/output operations per second (IOPS) scenarios that have many threads contending on a single file.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Storage Migration Service (SMS) from completing inventory on servers that have many shares. The system logs error event 2509 in Microsoft-Windows-StorageMigrationService/Admin channel (ErrorId=-2146233088/ErrorMessage="Invalid table id").
- Addresses an issue that causes the Windows profile service to fail sporadically. The failure might occur when signing in. The error message is, "gpsvc service failed to sign in. Access denied".
The following point might be interesting: Reduces the overhead of resource conflicts in scenarios with high input/output operations per second (IOPS), where many threads compete for a single file.
The update is optional and is only offered if the administrator explicitly selects optional updates to install in the settings page. The update can also be downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Update Catalog. The latest Servicing Stack Update (SSU) is integrated. Microsoft lists a known issue related to this update. Further details can be found in the support article in case of doubt.
Patchday: Windows 10-Updates (July 12 2022)
Patchday: Windows 11/Server 2022-Updates (July 12, 2022)
Windows 7/Server 2008R2; Windows 8.1/Server 2012R2: Updates (July 12 2022)
Microsoft July 2022 Patchday issues (Windows, Office)
Windows print and scan error due to smart card authentication change
Windows: Printer issues after July 2022 patchday and fixes
Windows 10 1909 LTSC/Server 2019 Preview-Update KB5015880 (July 21, 2022)
Windows Server 2022 Preview Update KB5015879 (July 19, 2022)
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings