[German]Owners of a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 received a firmware update on July 26, 2018. If possible, don't install this firmware update, due to (minor) issues with this.
Woody Leonhard has the story Surface Pro 4 firmware update blamed for touchscreen and pen malfunctions at ComputerWorld. The base of all complains is a post from user ElixirHunter, dated July 28, 2018 in Microsoft answers forum:
I have had no problems with my Surface since purchase and dutifully update regularly.
The last update [Update from 26th July 2018] though has caused multiple problems:
- All of the keyboard/pad functions are working including zoom, scroll etc. but no screen-touch or pen response (pen button clicks still open pre-chosen programmes as they should)
- After being shut down will only start up with long hold on power switch.
- It now takes ages to restart (used to start in a few dreamy seconds). Begins with completely black screen for about 20 seconds and no visible signs of turning on (lights on Fn key for instance) then the SURFACE screen, then the ring and eventually lock screen.
- Seems to use the fan more often (it even continued after shut a few times).
- In device manager the Firmware has an exclamation mark on Surface ME saying: This device cannot start. (Code 10) – An attempt was made to change the attributes on memory that has not been committed.
- Trouble shooter detects this but can not solve it.
- The pen/ink section of the Surface App says: the Surface app needs an updated component from Windows Update in order to enable this feature
I contacted Microsoft but they ended up sending me to the 'diagnostic tool' during which I was unable to draw the 'snail' on the screen or register any touches of course but it didn't help.
They did email me afterwards (ref. 1434863707) but have not responded further since my reply.
Everything is up to date and I have tried rolling back drivers and updating them again in the firmware section of device manager.
The user has published also the details of his machine:
SKU: Surface Pro 4 i5
Embedded controller: 103.1791.258.0
System aggregator: 103.1837.257.0
Wi-Fi driver: 15.68.9114.29
Others reported similar issues or other faults:
After latest update, I have been getting a yellow exclamation mark for Surface ME firmware – code 10. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, updated with latest updates and still the surface has not had the touch screen work since.
On August 14, 2018 BryanH from Microsoft posted the following answer on MS forum:
Thank you for your feedback. We understand the concern and are actively investigating. We will update this response once a fix has been published. Please continue to check for Surface and Windows Updates to ensure your device has the most current firmware and software available.
Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility for now.
Within the German MS answers forum I found also a post, where a user reported that his microSD cards are no longer recognized (but this could be an incidence). So, if possible, avoid this firmware update to keep your device working.
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings