[German]A brief note for fans of the software tool Dism ++. You can get into a lot of trouble with this tool when customizing Windows installations. Here a few things I became aware of.
What is Dism++?
The tool Dism++ is nothing else than a graphical user interface, with which the Windows command dism can be handled better. The tool is quite powerful, because it offers functions to:
- Start management – i.e. everything that is started automatically under Windows.
- App management – i.e. uninstalling apps
- Toolbox – with various tools for system administration
- System optimization – functions to optimize the system (more caution required)
- Driver management – all drivers installed via Windows Update can be deactivated
- Feature management – you can deactivate functions from the ‘Programs and Features’ section of Windows.
- Update management – updates can be selected and managed.
- Deployment – all functions to customize an installation image
- Sysprep commands – manages the commands during system deployment
This site contains additional information an a download link for Dism ++.
The tool itself is portable, so there is no need to install it. However, Dism++ must be run with administrator privileges. The website chuyu.me doesn’t exist anymore (08/13/2019), and Dism++ is now in Chinese hands.
Issues caused by Dism++
The use of Dism++ does involve certain risks, which can lead to problems with Windows. In recent years I have occasionally seen forum posts where feature updates or updates terminates with installation errors and due to installation image altered with Dism++. Furthermore, blog reader Xaver H. contacted me by e-mail. He writes me the following:
I just noticing that when using Dism++ (current version) in W7 the update process is not added. I have just done all updates (except the red ones) in W7. But the update process is at 2016.
So if you work with customized image files and have used Dism++, you should always think about this cause of error. Final question: Anyone else who has run into problems with Dism++?
Addendum: The development of the tool has been stopped, the developer decided to put that project in maintenance mode – so only bug fixes will apply in future. But there is a successor – see Dism++: Switch to maintenance mode, and a new project.