[German]On September 8, 2020, Microsoft released various updates for Windows 8.1. These updates are also available for Windows Server 2012 R2. Here is some information about them.
For Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 a rollup and a security-only update were released. The update history for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 can be found on this Microsoft page.
Important: Starting July 2020 all Windows updates disable the RemoteFX vGPU featire due to the CVE-2020-1036 vulnerability (see also KB4570006). After installing this update, attempts to start virtual machines (VM) with RemoteFX vGPU enabled will fail. More information can be found in the KB article and here.
KB4577066 (Monthly Rollup) for Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2
Update KB4577066 (Monthly Rollup for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2) contains improvements and fixes, and addresses the following issues.
- Updates time zone information for Yukon, Canada.
- Addresses an issue when you evaluate the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows.
- Addresses a security vulnerability issue with user proxies and HTTP-based intranet servers. After you install this update, HTTP-based intranet servers cannot leverage a user proxy to detect updates by default. Scans that use these servers will fail if the clients do not have a configured system proxy. If you must leverage a user proxy, you must configure the behavior by using the Windows Update policy "Allow user proxy to be used as a fallback if detection using system proxy fails." This change does not affect customers who secure their Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) servers that use the Transport Layer Security (TLS) or Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocols. For more information, see Improving security for devices receiving updates via WSUS.
- Security updates to Windows Media, Windows Input and Composition, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Graphics, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Kernel, Windows Hybrid Cloud Networking, Windows Peripherals, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Update Stack, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, and Windows SQL components.
This update is automatically downloaded and installed by Windows Update, but is also available in the Microsoft Update Catalog and via WSUS. In case of a manual installation, the latest Servicing Stack Update (SSU KB4566425KB4566425 dated July 14, 2020) must be installed beforehand – but this SSU cannot be uninstalled.
Microsoft is aware of the following problem in connection with the update: Certain operations, such as renaming, that you perform on files or folders on a cluster shared volume (CSV) may fail with the error "STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)". This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that does not have administrator privileges. As a workaround, you can do one of the following:
- Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privileges.
- Perform the operation from a node that does not have CSV ownership.
Microsoft has been working (for months) on a solution and will provide an update in a future release. This update contains telemetry functions.
KB4577071 (Security-only update) for Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2
Update KB4577071 (Security Only Quality Update for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2) addresses the following items
Security updates to Windows Media, Windows Input and Composition, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Graphics, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Kernel, Windows Hybrid Cloud Networking, Windows Peripherals, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Update Stack, and Windows SQL components.
The update is available via WSUS or in the Microsoft Update Catalog. Details about the update are described in the KB article. In case of a manual installation the latest Servicing Stack Update (SSU) KB4566425 must be installed first. This update contains telemetry functions (see the discussion within my German blog).
The security update KB4577010 for IE should also be installed.
Microsoft Office Patchday (September 1, 2020)
Microsoft Security Update Summary (September 1, 2020)
Patchday: Windows 10-Updates (September 8, 2020)
Patchday: Windows 8.1/Server 2012-Updates (September 8, 2020)
Patchday: Updates für Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 (September 8, 2020)
Patchday Microsoft Office Updates (September 8, 2020)
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings