[German]Microsoft has released the optional cumulative (preview) update KB023778 for Windows 11 version 22H2 on March 28, 2023. The update distributes a number of new features and, most importantly, a long list of bug fixes. Below I give an overview regarding these updates for Windows 11.
It should be noted that this update is a so-called preview update. This is optional and by default must be manually triggered to download and install. It contains the fixes that will be rolled out in the security update for the following month. The list of updates for Windows 11 can be viewed on this Microsoft page.
Preview Update KB023778 for Windows 11 22H2
Preview update KB5023778 is available for Windows 11 version 22H2, which raises the OS build to 22621.14785 and provides a number of fixes for these Windows versions. Here are the new features from that update:
- New! This update introduces notifications for Microsoft accounts in the Start menu. This is only available to a small audience right now. It will deploy more broadly in the coming months. Some devices might notice different visual treatments as we gather feedback. See the example below.
- New! The search box on the taskbar will be lighter when you set Windows to a custom color mode. This will occur when you set the Windows mode to dark and the app mode to light in Settings > Personalization > Colors.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Notepad combo box in Settings. It fails to show all the available options.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Microsoft PowerPoint. It stops responding. This occurs when you use accessibility tools.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Microsoft Narrator. It fails to read items in dropdown lists in Microsoft Excel.
- This update addresses an issue that affects USB printers. The system classifies them as multimedia devices even though they are not.
Below is the complete list of fixes:
- New! This update adds many new features and improvements to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. For more information, see Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.
- This update addresses an issue that affects complexity policy settings for PINs. They are ignored.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Fast Identity Online 2.0 (FIDO2) PIN credential icon. It does not appear on the credentials screen of an external monitor. This occurs when that monitor is attached to a closed laptop.
- This update addresses an issue that affects a Clustered Shared Volume (CSV). The CSV fails to come online. This occurs if you enable BitLocker and local CSV managed protectors, and the system recently rotated the BitLocker keys.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Active Directory Users & Computers. It stops responding. This occurs when you use TaskPad view to enable or disable many objects at the same time.
- The update addresses an issue that affects the Remote Procedure Call Service (rpcss.exe). The issue might cause a race condition between the Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) and the Microsoft Remote Procedure Call (RPC) endpoint mapper.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Microsoft PowerPoint. It stops responding on the Azure Virtual Desktop. This occurs while you are using Think-Cell Features.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Windows Search. Windows Search fails inside of Windows container images.
- This update affects the Group Policy Editor. It adds Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.3 to the list of protocols that you can set.
- This update affects the Arab Republic of Egypt. The update supports the government's daylight saving time change order for 2023.
- This update affects jscript9Legacy.dll. It adds ITracker and ITrackingService to stop MHTML from not responding.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Microsoft HTML Application Host (HTA). This issue blocks code execution that uses Microsoft HTA. This occurs when you turn on Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) User Mode Code Integrity (UMCI) enforced mode.
- This update affects the Group Policy Management Console. It addresses a scripting error in the Group Policy Preferences window.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Windows Remote Management (WinRM) client. The client returns an HTTP server error status (500). This error occurs when it runs a transfer job in the Storage Migration Service.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Desired State Configuration. It loses its previously configured options. This occurs if metaconfig.mof is missing.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) option 119 – Domain Search Option. The issue stops you from using a connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List.
- This update addresses a rare issue that might cause an input destination to be null. This issue might occur when you attempt to convert a physical point to a logical point during hit testing. Because of this, the computer raises a stop error.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol (SCEP) certificate. The system reports some SCEP certificate installations as failed. Instead, the system should report them as pending.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the new Windows Runtime (WinRT) API. This issue stops an application from querying for location information using MBIM2.0+.
- This update addresses a known issue that affects kiosk device profiles. If you have enabled automatic logon, it might not work. After Autopilot completes provisioning, these devices stay on the credential screen. This issue occurs after you install updates dated January 10, 2023, and later.
This long list of new features and fixes will be integrated in the security update for the following month. The preview update is optional and is only offered when the user explicitly selects optional updates for installation in the settings page. The update is offered via Windows Update, but can also be downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Update CatalogThe latest Servicing Stack Update (SSU) is included to fix various issues. Further details, e.g. about the installation requirements, can be found in the support article in case of doubt. The possibly known problems are also listed there.. Das neueste Servicing Stack Update (SSU) ist integriert, um diverse Probleme zu beheben. Weitere Details, z.B. zu den Installationsvoraussetzungen, sind im Zweifelsfall dem Support-Beitrag zu entnehmen. Dort sind auch die eventuell bekannten Probleme aufgelistet.
Microsoft Security Update Summary (March 14, 2023)
Patchday: Windows 10-Updates (March 14, 2023)
Patchday: Windows 11/Server 2022-Updates (March 14, 2023)
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2; Server 2012 R2: Updates (March 14, 2023)
Windows 11 OOBE Updates and Windows 10 Dynamic Update (21.3.2023)
Windows 10: Preview Update KB5023773 and OOBE Update KB5025801 (March 21, 2023)
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings