[German]As of September 26, 2023, the Mozilla developers have released the new Firefox 118 as well as the Firefox 115.3 ESR maintenance update. Some vulnerabilities were closed with the updates. Here is a brief overview of the updates in question, along with the fixes and what's new.
Firefox 118 is a new development branch, which has the following innovations according to the release notes.
- Automated translation of web content is now available to Firefox users! Unlike cloud-based alternatives, translation is done locally in Firefox, so that the text being translated does not leave your machine.
- Web Audio in Firefox now uses the FDLIBM math library on all systems to improve anonymity with Fingerprint Protection.
- The visibility of fonts to websites has been restricted to system fonts and language pack fonts to mitigate font fingerprinting in Private Browsing windows.
- Video Effects and background blur are now available to Firefox users on Google Meet! (Note: These effects have also been released retroactively to support Firefox versions back to Firefox 115.)
- Firefox Suggest users (US-only at this time) will now be able to see browser add-on suggestions right in the address bar based on their keywords.
Several vulnerabilities rated as High have been closed in Firefox 118 (see here). Notes for Enterprise users are available here. Firefox should update automatically, but can be downloaded from this website for various platforms (choose the variant from the list boxes shown).
Firefox 115.3 ESR
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings