[German]Microsoft has begun with the rollout of the Chromium-based Edge Browser via Windows Update. Currently it only affects Windows Insider in the Release Preview Ring. The browser will be rolled out on more machines in the coming weeks.
Microsoft released a new security update for the Chromium Edge last night, which closes several critical vulnerabilities (see Security Update: Edge 80.0.361.62 released).
Edge rollout via Windows Update to Insider
I hadn’t noticed it – but the colleagues here spotted it: Last night, the Windows Insider team announced on Twitter that they had opened the floodgates to the Chromium Edge.
Heads-up #WindowsInsiders, we have begun rolling out the new #MicrosoftEdge to the Release Preview ring. See this blog post from @kylealden with more info on Windows Update rollout plans: https://t.co/lLOKhUtnPE
— Windows Insider (@windowsinsider) February 25, 2020
Participants who are registered in the Windows Insider program in the Release Preview will receive the new Edge Browser via Windows Update under Windows 10. With this step, Microsoft is testing on a limited group of users whether the rollout works.
Addendum: Microsoft has released article KB4541302 with more details about the ne browser. The new Edge will be rolled out to systeme with Windows 10 Version 1903 and 1909. This update contains the quality improvements below:
- Start menu pins, tiles, and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
- Taskbar pins and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The new Microsoft Edge will be pinned to the taskbar. If the current version of Microsoft Edge is already pinned, it will be replaced.
- The new Microsoft Edge will add a shortcut to the desktop. If the current version of Microsoft Edge already has a shortcut, it will be replaced.
- By default, most protocols that Microsoft Edge handles will be migrated to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The current version of Microsoft Edge will be hidden from UX surfaces in the OS. This includes settings, applications, and any file or protocol support dialog boxes.
- Attempts to start the current version of Microsoft Edge will redirect to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The First Run Experience (FRE) will auto-launch the first time that a device restarts after the new Microsoft Edge is installed.
- Data from earlier versions of Microsoft Edge (such as passwords, favorites, open tabs) will be available in the new Microsoft Edge.
This new Microsoft Edge does not support uninstalling of this update. To view supported features, please see the Microsoft Edge Platform Status.
Rollout in waves
The new Microsoft Edge Browser has been available since 15 January 2020 for supported versions of Windows and macOS as a Chromium variant and in more than 90 languages. But until now, you had to download and install the browser manually because Microsoft delayed the rollout. Microsoft had chosen the approach described in the blog post Microsoft Microsoft Chromium-Edge released:
- Interested customers could get the Microsoft Edge as a download for Windows 7 to Windows 10, macOS, Android and iOS since that date.
- The automatic rollout via Windows Update was planned for private customers (with Windows 10) from February 2020. First, Windows Insiders were supposed to get their turn in the Release Preview Ring – which happened now.
- Depending on what the telemetry reports back, other users will then be able to enjoy the new browser via Windows Update in the coming weeks.
The rollout in waves can take months. It should also be mentioned that this only affects Windows 10 systems with Home and Pro in unmanaged environments. Windows 10 Enterprise installations and Pro systems running in corporate environments do not yet get the new Edge via Windows Update (see Chromium-Edge: Issues and no Auto Update for Enterprises). How to prevent the auto-update – even during operation – is described in the blog post Microsoft’s Chromium Edge will be distributed via update soon.
Microsoft’s Chromium Edge will be distributed via update soon
Microsoft Chromium-Edge released
Chromium-Edge: Issues and no Auto Update for Enterprises
Run old and new Edge in Side-by modus
Edge and its poor installer security