[German]Microsoft has released unscheduled updates for Windows 10 version 1809, as well as Windows 7 SP1 (with ESU) and Windows Server 2008 SP2 (with ESU), effective July 27, 2021. These special updates are intended to fix the printing issue associated with SmartCard authentication. Here is a quick overview of the situation.
Printing issues with SmartCard authentication
The Windows 10 security updates released on the regular patchday on July 13, 2021 (see Patchday: Windows 10 updates (July 13, 2021)) can cause printing issues in certain scenarios. Printing and scanning can fail if these devices use smart card authentication (PIV).
Microsoft had confirmed this bug in the support articles for cumulative update KB5004237 for Windows 10 version 2004/20H2/21H1. I had reported the details in the blog post Windows 10: July 2021 update may cause printing issues with SmartCard authentication. However, the following Windows platforms were affected:
- Client: Windows 10, version 21H1; Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004; Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1809; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016; Windows 10, version 1607; Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB; Windows 8.1; Windows 7 SP1
- Server: Windows Server, version 20H2; Windows Server, version 2004; Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1809; Windows Server 2019; Windows Server 2016; Windows Server 2012 R2; Windows Server 2012; Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1; Windows Server 2008 SP2
Now Microsoft has started to fix this issue with special updates for specific Windows platforms.
Out-of-band updates from July 27, 2021
Blog reader EP pointed out in this comment that out-of-band updates has been released on July 27, 2021 to fix the printing issues (thanks for that). Microsoft has provided updates for the following Windows versions:
- Update KB5005394 for Windows 10 Version 1809
- Update KB5005392 for Windows 7 SP1 (Microsoft Update Catalog)
- Update KB0505390 for Windows Server 2008 SP2
All updates are intended to address the issue that may occur with print output after the July 13, 2021 updates are installed on domain controllers (DCs). For more information about the issue, see KB5005408.
Windows 10 updates (July 13, 2021)
Windows 10: July 2021 update may cause printing issues with SmartCard authentication
Out-of-band updates fixes Windows printing issues (July 27, 2021)
Windows 8/8.1: Out-of-band fix for printer issue (July 28, 2021)
Out-of-band update KB5005393 for Windows 10 V1607 printing issues (July 29, 2021)
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings