Microsoft has released Security update MS17-014 (Security Update for Microsoft Office (4013241)) on March 14, 2017. But it seems that this update is triggering crashes in Excel 2010.
Security update MS17-014 resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office. The most severe of the vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Microsoft Office file. The security update addresses the vulnerabilities by:
- Correcting how Office handles objects in memory
- Changing the way certain functions handle objects in memory
- Properly initializing the affected variable
- Helping to ensure that SharePoint Server properly sanitizes web requests
- Correcting how the Lync for Mac 2011 client validates certificates
Security Update KB3178690 has some side effects. Microsoft has added recently the following known issue:
After you install this security update, Excel 2010 may crash or hang (stop responding or freeze) when calculations are performed in a workbook. The calculations may be triggered either by code or by user interaction.
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
Patchday summary March 2017