[German]The worldwide disruption in Microsoft's Azure Active Directory on March 15,/16, 2021 has affected many services. Among others, backup solutions that rely on Microsoft services provided by Azure AD for authentication have likely failed. This includes Veeam Office 365 backups. There is also a cumulative update KB4124 for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 5b.
Worldwide Azure service disruption persists
The worldwide disruption in Microsoft's Azure Active Directory as of March 15, 2021 has affected many services (I had covered it only within my German blog post Azure-Problem beeinträchtigt Teams, Exchange Online, Office 365 etc. (15.3.2021) this night). The Azure outage affects Teams, Exchange Online, Office 365 etc. (3/15/2021). It seems the issues have been fixed internally by an update SINCE Microsoft. But the status page of Azure still shows some disruptions in the data storage area on 3/16/2021 at 11:28 a.m. (European time).
On the status page, regarding Azure storage accesses, a message says that they trigger a 403 error when the storage is accessed:
Azure Storage – 403 error notifications when attempting to make storage calls – Applying Mitigation
Starting at approximately 19:15 UTC on 15 Mar, a subset of customers may have experienced issues authenticating into Microsoft services, including Microsoft Teams, Office and/or Dynamics, Xbox Live, and the Azure Portal. We have completed rollout of a fix to mitigate impact to Azure Active Directory and the Azure Portal.
Additional impact to other Azure services/offerings that rely on the Azure Storage service may continue to see further impact. A subset of customers may experience 403 error notifications when attempting to make storage calls.
Current Status: We currently have a deployment in progress, in line with safe deployment practices, to mitigate residual impact to Azure Storage. As the deployment continues to the impacted regions, some customers may begin to see signs of recovery. The next update will be provided in 60 minutes or as events warrant.
Microsoft technicians are working to fix this glitch.
Backup fails due to Azure service disruption
The global disruption in Microsoft's Azure Active Directory on March 15, 2021, has arguably affected backup solutions that rely on Microsoft services provided by Azure AD for authentication, among other things. Blog reader Michel Py pointed out in this comment that in his environment, Veeam backup jobs failed around 21:00 p.m. German time.
Patch for Veeam Backup for Office 365
Both Michel Py, and blog reader Robert G. have pointed out in comments and mails in connection with the blog post Azure-Problem beeinträchtigt Teams, Exchange Online, Office 365 etc. (15.3.2021), that a cumulative update KB4124 for Veeam Backup for Office 365 is available since March 12, 2021. The cumulative update KB4124 for Veeam Backup for Office 365 5b includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
Optimized operations with local cache to improve the performance of SharePoint backup to an object store repository.
In addition, the following issues in the Veeam product have been fixed by the cumulative update:
- Adding Office 365 organization with modern app-only authentication fails with "Invalid Exchange Web Services response" error.
- Backup job session processing rate may be displayed with a negative value of -1.
- In the backup job wizard, some users may not be displayed and available for selection.
- SharePoint backup fails with "An item with the same key has already been added" error.
- Exchange mailbox backup fails with "The specified object was not found in the store" error.
- Exchange mailbox backup fails with "Mailbox is already processed by another job" error.
- Under certain conditions, Exchange mailbox backup fails with "One or more of the specified parts could not be found. The part may not have been uploaded, or the specified entity tag may not match the part's entity tag" error.
- Exchange mailbox backup fails with "Arithmetic operation results in an overflow" error.
- In on-premises Exchange organizations, public folder backup fails with "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source" error.
- Microsoft Teams backup may fail with "400 – Bad request – Value cannot be null. Parameter name: token" error. For more details, see KB4123.
- SharePoint personal site backup may fail with "Failed to resolve personal site owner. A user may not have a valid Microsoft Office 365 license with a SharePoint plan enabled" error.
- After moving existing OneDrive and SharePoint backups to an object storage repository, a new backup job targeted at this repository may fail to create restore points.
- OneDrive and SharePoint items restore with modern auth with allowed legacy protocols may fail with an authentication error.
- In the License Overview report, a user display name is displayed instead of a UPN.
The download is available in the Veeam KB article KB4124. The manufacturer writes about it: Please make sure you are running Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 build 184.108.40.206 before installing this cumulative patch KB4124. You can check this in Help and Support > About in the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 console. After the upgrade, your build version will change to 220.127.116.11.
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings