Does HP blocks 3rd party ink cartridges again on its printers (Jan. 2019)?

[German]Just a question to users of HP ink jet printers. There are signs, that HP again blocks third party ink cartridges on its ink jet printers (Office printers) since January 2019. The aim of this blog post is to find out whether there are any potential victims.

The ‘incident’ in 2016

In September 2016 it became public, that HP has begun to block third-party ink cartridges with a firmware update. HP had distributed a firmware update for various ink jet office printers on March 12, 2016. From 13 September 2016, the time bomb within the firmware became active. From that point on, third-party ink cartridges were no longer accepted on certain HP ink jet printer models. Those using third-party ink cartridges or refillable ink cartridges received an error message. The printer driver reports that the ink cartridge is faulty or damaged. Anyone using new third-party ink cartridges also received this error message.

I’ve blogged about that within my blog post HP printer firmware disables refill ink cartridges and other articles (see the links at the article’s end). The case created a slash back on HP. They was forced to release an update that overrides the ‘protection mechanism’. Had reported about that within my post HP: New printer firmware re-enables refill ink cartridges.

Also the site Motherboard has published the article Printer Makers Are Crippling Cheap Ink Cartridges Via Bogus ‘Security Updates’ in October 2018.

New signs in 2017 and 2018

In September 2017 I received feedback from a few users, reporting, that the 3rd party ink cartridge disaster came up again. But I wasn’t able to verify that it was a firmware update – maybe, an old firmware was accidentally rolled out to some printers.

Then in September 2018 I’ve published the blog post Is a HP Firmware Update blocking again Third Party Ink Cartridges?, because there has been similar signs, that another ‘blocking’ was active. But it seems, that this wasn’t a broader issue.

New feedback in January 2019

Now, on January 19, 2019 I suddenly received two independent comments, mentions the HP 3rd party ink cartridge issue. German blog-reader Andreas left a comment about his case. He is facing the situation, that his HP ink jet printer isn’t able to use 3rd party ink cartridges – but he found a source, where he was able to buy cheap original HP ink cartridges ‘whose expiration date has expired’. He intends to test these ink cartridges with his HP ink jet printer.

Andreas mentioned also two things. One, that he read about a case, that original HP ink jet cartridges refuse to work, if the expiration date is reached. I searched the internet and came across this German article (here is the English article) which says:

HP is blocking its own (HP no 302 and no 304) ink cartridges (some lots) for Deskjet, Envy and Officejet. There is a German support document from HP saying: Print cartridges manufactured before April 2017 may not be compatible with HP DeskJet 2600, HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 2600, 5000, and 5200, HP Envy 5000, and HP OfficeJet 5200 series printers manufactured after May 1, 2018 (depending on the model of print cartridge used, see below for more information).

And Andreas found the article How to downgrade firmware on HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 to allow using old or refilled cartridges – UPDATE (HP official fw fix) on Land of Brozkeff with some explanation, how to downgrade a firmware that blocks 3rd party ink cartridges.

And I received this English comment from blog reader Wallace who has two HP 8600 Pro Printers and offered me to use one of this printer as a guinea pig. I interpret this comment as ‘there is something with blocked 3rd party ink cartridges on HP printers raising in January 2019’. Therefor I like to ask: Are there other victims observing a failure on HP ink jet printers refusing older HP ink cartridges or 3rd party ink cartridges?

Similar article:
HP printer firmware disables refill ink cartridges
HP apologizes, new firmware update for printers soon
HP: New printer firmware re-enables refill ink cartridges
Firmware Update blocks again non HP Printer Cartridges
Is a HP Firmware Update blocking again Third Party Ink Cartridges?

This entry was posted in devices, issue and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Does HP blocks 3rd party ink cartridges again on its printers (Jan. 2019)?

1. Raphael says:

I think I may be such a victim.

I bought 3rd party ink cartridges for my HP 8720 back in December (an Ikong set of four 952XL (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, Black)). At the time, I only needed yellow, so I replaced it and it worked fine. Yesterday, my magenta ran out, so I tried to replace it and got a “Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed. If this message continues to appear, replace the indicated cartridge” message. I then tested the Cyan and Black and got the same message.

Although I didn’t actively update my firmware, I remember one morning when the printer had a message saying that it had updated itself. So now I’m stuck with no magenta.

I contacted Ikong and they wrote back that the reason for the malfunction is the firmware update (they called it “[a] market attack [on] the compatible ink cartridge (third-party ink sellers)”) and that they don’t yet have new cartridges to work with the new firmware. They offered a refund instead, which is nice of them.

Is there anything I can do, except buy original HP cartridges as cutthroat prices?

2. Bob Neely says:

I’m being told by Costco that my cartridges (HP952 B,C,M & Y) are no longer refillable due to a recent firmware download by HP.

I HAVE PURCHASED MY LAST HP PRODUCT!!!

3. Olaf says:

Hi,
    HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 with Firmware: EDWINXPP1N002.1912A.00 blocks 3rd party ink.
    This version is newer than 1849A available on HP´s website. Installing the older one is prevented.
    Kind regards
    Olaf

• EP says:

firmware version 1912A is available on HP’s web site instead of 1849A as I recently checked the Officejet pro 7740 downloads page myself.

also note that recent models of HP printers automatically download & install firmware updates without any user input, including new firmware that may block 3rd party inks. if you don’t want your HP printers to be updating themselves, disable or turn off automatic software updates on the printer’s control panel on the printers themselves to prevent them from silently updating their firmware

4. Advertising

5. JJL says:

Shame on HP.
    My 7740 updated itself to the last firmware (April 2019) and starting from that moment all the compatible inks I was completely satisfied with stopped working. I was forced to buy a new Epson in order to replace my 7740 that became useless (160€ per set of original cartridges).
    If this is not enough, notice that I tried to reset the 7740, with the result that the printer does not conclude its setup without original cartridges (Stuck at setup). At all, now, without these originals my printer is broken (I’m forced to buy at least a set of originals in order to not throw the printer in the garbage and wait for a firmware downgrade). For sure I’ll never buy an HP product again in my life. I was damaged for 350$ with this update.
    Peace.

6. JJL says:

If anybody will find a way to downgrade a 7740, please drop me a line.

7. Patricia Phillips says:

My HP 8720 will no longer use 3rd party cartridges. I disabled the HP Update in Control Panel and now, it does not print at all, even with HP cartridges. 123 Inkjets is giving me a refund, but so far, they do not have a new cartridge that bypasses this. Office Depots advised that they are launching a Class Action Lawsuit, if anybody wants to get in on this. My printer is now useless. No more HP’s for me, but what a shame. This is what happens when a company gets greedy. Not even sure what to purchase next. Any ideas?

8. Mike Dennison says:

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 printer, which I have had since July 2017. I have used 3rd party cartridges in it for most of that time – with no issues whatsoever.

I stupidly clicked OK to upgrade the firmware a couple of weeks ago and since then it won’t work with non-HP cartridges. I had non-HP cartridges installed and the printer warned me that black was low. As soon as I inserted a new cartridge it complained of a faulty cartridge. I have tried cartridges from 2 different suppliers with no joy.

After wasting ages on line, I finally rang the HP UK support line and they confirm that there is no way to downgrade the firmware and they won’t do anything at all as I am not using HP cartridges.

That’s the last HP equipment I am buying!

9. JJL says:

UPDATE, I had to buy a 120€ full original set of cartridges in order to let the printer start working again.
    Help is welcome. Drop me a message for a possible solution to this shame.

10. MLD says:

Also my HP officejet pro 8600 plus doesn’t work anymore since I use not original hp ink cartridges. Until may I didn’t have any problem to use the cheaper copies.
    I think it is really bad from HP to treat customers like that. Epson has alternativ printers, which use large inktank, maybe this will be the right time to change the printer…

11. Roma Payne says:

I too am a victim of the HP update. I have purchased HP products for decades… no more. I print a LOT of handouts for seminars so I have always kept several back-up refilled cartridges on hand. Costco did refund the cost of all my refills and allowed me to keep the useless cartridges. I purchased an Epson printer. I still had useable HP cartridges in the printer, when they ran out I carefully lifted the HP original chip with an Exacto knife, removed the Costco refill chip and replaced it with the HP chip! It worked. I will exhaust the ink supply before tossing the printer out.

12. Brozkeff says:

Hello, I am the author of the article linked here and I noticed a spike in accessing the blog article I wrote some time ago about downgrading the fw of HP printers. Since I thought this nightmare is finally over when HP released the “optional” update disabling the stupid, crippling “feature”, I was surprised there is a new resurgence of interest in this issue.
    I still have two of the OfficeJet 8610 printers in the office and using non-original cartridges exclusively. In addition to that this year I purchased two other HP Officejet printers for a really great price (model 6230). So far so good. I will anyway report and update my article if things go wrong again.
    Both OfficeJet 6230 have the firmware with the genuine cartridge feature disabled, one of the OfficeJet 8610 has intentionally the very oldest, downgraded 2014 firmware (after it was screwed with the 2015 firmware, getting non-working in 2016) and is being firewalled not to communicate over the internet to not get updated and to not expose any potential vulnerabilities anywhere else but on the internal VLAN. The second 8610 instead has the newer firmware after HP released the fix, and perhaps that printer may get soon automatically upgraded…

13. I have an OfficeJet Pro 6978 that is relatively new and it will not accept 3rd party ink cartridges. When i put one in, despite the cartridges being labeled as “For use in HP” and “Compatible Replacement,” when I put one in the machine I get a warning that says, “Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed.”

• Mike Staffaroni says:

This is the exact same message that I’ve received on my 6978 with two different 3rd-party brands.

14. Mach says:

I have an 8710 for which I purchased 3rd party InkWorld Cartridges and all was working until I was lead to replace the yellow cartridge and since no 3rd party cartridge is working. I quickly identified the source of the issue as a firmware update applied by my family in February to alleviate jamming and constant prints being ‘stuck’ at the end of the print cycle by approximately 6.5 mm. (1/4inch US), requiring one to ‘pull’ the prints free. After this update the unit will no longer accept any 3rd party cartridges. I have since attempted to use Jarbo Inks (highly recommend both companies products, with Jarbo being my favorite.) Neither works. This is definitely by HP design. *** I fixed the problem by upgrading to a new HP printer ( LOL ) NOT ***. I purchased a Brother MFC-3770CDW Model and the printing costs will be the same for the laser as it was for the Deskjet at HP Ink prices and will yield about 2x the number of pages. Were I to switch to an HP model Laserjet, the cartridges would be DOUBLE the cost of the Brother model Laser refills.

I have not investigated 3rd party laser cartridges for this brother unit, but suffice to say the customer unfriendly ‘JERK’ Move by HP is enough to put me off their products for good. Deskjet printing just isn’t worth what HP wants per page. No printing is worth what HP asks. It just is not.

My Global print budget at work was just reduced and after some study I have found that almost EVERY other solution is cheaper than the existing HP solution I inherited. The printers will be swapped in favor of Xerox units in the coming months. Good move HP. Bravo.

C’est la Vie and good bye HP.

M

15. Fred S says:

I am coming from Epson WorkForce Pros which only lasted a year each (2 WF 3640 and 1 WF 4630). Being fed up with such poor reliability, I decided to switch — and the HP 8720 seemed to be the best option at the time. So I have 2 HP 8720. The first one running on firmware 1606 still accepts compatible ink cartridges. The second one running of firmware 1910 does not (it came with that firmware out of the box, unfortunately). I like those printers as I appreciate their speed and quality. I understand most of the price of the printer is in the ink. However, in the case of HP, that price is completely blown out of proportion. When I purchased the two 8720s, I had heard of the class action that forced HP to allow 3rd party ink ; I wasn’t aware HP would do it again in 2019.

16. jody says:

i have been refilling my original hp cartridges since 2009. just the black. last year i found a co. in Canada that refilled and sold the cartridges i needed and i think it was only $20 for all 4. There was one problem in getting them delivered but they resolved it and the cartridges arrived in very good condition. i put them is and vwahlaa… i had a color printer again. they worked beautifully. I didn’t have to partially fill the black cartridge with just a bit of ink for the job i needed on the odd day here and there. And i find it a bit irritating that i always have an HP icon in my task bar telling me i need another update so I can enjoy all the assistance HP wants to give me even though all of my HP devices are long out of warranty.

I was away for a month, but came home with some serious printing i needed ASAP. I sent the document to the wireless printer via my android, and it started printing. Got 3 pages in and had a paper jam. I fixed that, went to finish printing my document and had an error “ink system error please turn printer off” My first thought was, HP did an update without me knowing and somehow found a way to MAKE me buy only their ink products which i never do. I have a lifetime supply of printer ink. I had the store. As if I’m going to pay $100’s for name brand ink when i could care less. It can print with pencil or wax crayons for all I care. printed paper is temporary and is almost obsolete in my household. who has anything on paper anymore that they need to save other than old photos and cash? Im wondering how long perscriptions will be paper written. How archaic. my pharmacy will deliver my perscriptions. but i still have to trot on over from the clinic to drop off a piece of paper that could easily be electronically sent and probably should be.

Anyways, i’ve seached and tried several reset methods i found online. nothing has worked. i put my original cartridges back in to do the factory reset. still won’t get passed that ink system error. I need my printer like last week and it’s completely useless to me. I ONLY thought HP was responsible for this in a likely update they snuck in without warning. My printer is 10 years old… what do they even care about a printer that old. They likely didn’t expect it to still be in service. I barely use it. Its more of an ugly ornament that a device I use more than a couple or maybe 4 times a year. I print off killersudoku puzzles I like and lease agreements. That’s about it. I never fax. who has a land line these days. if i HAVE TO I can use a software driven fax app. I make photocopies of all my ID decades ago. it was cool to have a network printer that would accept jobs from both my laptops and both my phones anytime, from anywhere within my wireless network. Took 10 years to finally get that working without glitches. I’d like a new printer that just always works. I’m tired of having to refill cartridges, or rerun the network setup program again and again and again and find IP addresses and printer name when its out of ink now. It finally was working perfectly. now its worse than every other problem put together. at least before i could do “something” to make it work for one print job at least. i don’t OWN a printer so i can look up where in town i can get some printing done. For pete’s sake. I will NEVER buy a new ink cartridge that says HP on it. ever ever ever never not now not even if they were zero dollars. anyone bought an ink pen lately? was the price crazy ridiculous? no… you probably picked and couple dozen. just because HP wants to sell ink doesn’t make it a high priced commodity. its not gold or oil. its ink. it’s nasty and messy and going out of style. its like a rotatry dial phone… who wants one. or here, would anyone like my full size square gigantic tv with the corner stand for free?? hahahaha hp is trying to make artifacts out of just old junk we don’t need anymore. paint has come a long ways and has met the challenges of a new era but ink is still just messy and doesn’t come off… apparently theres a high demand in the tattoo parlers, but aren’t we all going paperless more or less? saving a few trees and landfills.

i likely won’t have a compatible printer and i’ve been and promoter of HP devices for decades and I had a store. I build pc’s and recommended printers to go with them. too bad HP. I was good for your business. anyone know where the HP landfill site is?

I actually will be happy to get rid of this monstrosity of a machine hp officejet 6500 wireless all in one. my laptop im on right now is also HP. I bought it in 2011. They’re still letting me…. ?????? pretty sure microsoft is the boss in that arena.

just because things are made to be disposable doesn’t mean I need a new one every time they come out with a different color. bic still makes a decent lighter and a solid ball point pen. cheap in the big packs. who does it better? nothing to change. i don’t need a “smart” pen or a “thin touch screen” lighter. I don’t need a printer the size of a night stand either. if it’s wireless it should also be portable and take up very little space. I had an office once. I think it was where all the paper went. it was always a mess and had a huge “to do list” everywhere.

I find if you just keep putting your new paper on top of your old paper somehow it takes care of itself. like a composter. enriches my life naturally and with no effort.

so if there’s a class action, or anything i can do time is of the essence.

How can most of the price of a printer be the ink? The parts to make and labor to assemble, box, add cords, manuals, internet cables, customer support, shipping etc in my opinion would be a lot greater than the cost to produce ink cartridges. I think where they make the most profit is from the ink. They reduce the markup of the printer because they mark up the price of the ink so ridiculously. They seem to think that people will rush out to buy a machine that seems like a great deal, and that we all mindlessly don’t worry about the cost of the ink, we’ll just buy it when we need it.

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t stand in shock when they think they’re going to buy new ink cartridges and then decide they don’t really need them today. The price is so ridiculous that its not hard to think of a hundred other things you’d rather spend that much money on before INK. just send me a photo of a document… don’t print one for me on paper with ink. i don’t go near those boxes of papers anymore. if i can’t find your document in my pc files, its not relevant anymore. Revenue Canada doesn’t even need my paperwork. They have everything i need before I do. its downloaded for me without any paper being used to do my taxes, file them and get my refund. 100% paperless except that the employers still have to send me a paper T4 but I can see that being phased out now that I don’t need to wait for them in the mail. I can just file and download everything online. my phone keeps a copy of all my reciepts. my credit card statements are online. I don’t even open most of my paper mail because i’ve already had the email notification and looked up my statement online.

I suppose there’s still a generation ahead of me who still like to read their paper newspaper and paper flyers. I don’t. my adult kids sure don’t. I get weekly flyers by email. I use newspaper to do my lasagne organic no till gardening and to wash windows. Nothing works better. but it would work just fine without the ink.

all you young people who want more tattoos, expect the price of ink to go way up in another decade or so

do school children even learn to print and write by hand these days? I assume they all use mini phone sized touch screen smart keyboards for everything now. haha

i’m going to do my leases online with adobe I think. They have For Signature you can do freehand and without any ink. How many times do we hit a button agreeing to terms and conditions on our devices that are just as binding as any paper contract?

rjust a home user
    etired business owner

17. Never more hp says:

Look at these funny hp professionals :)
    The description of the april’s upgrade:

Type:FirmwareVersion: 1912AOperating systems:Windows 10 (64-bit)Release date:Apr 16, 2019File name: OJ7740_1912A.exe (62.8 MB)
    Description:

This software tool will help you update your printer to the latest firmware. Please refer to Enhancement/Fixes for more detail about the firmware update.

Reminder: Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working now or in the future. More at: http://www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies.

18. Nina says:

October 2018 I purchased a five pack 952XL. Black and magenta worked. Installed Yellow cartridge 6/18/19 and it kicked back with error code, “Cartridge installed incorrectly. Please remove and reinstall.”Haven’t tried Cyan yet but I don’t expect it to work.

19. Mathew Beals says:

I have an 8610 model and used a 3rd party black cartridge after the original ‘expired’. It worked for about 9 months however after an automated firmware update I am getting an error message stating that there is a problem with the cartridge. I swapped in a full 3rd party cartridge but to no avail. I refuse to be blackmailed by a product that I purchased.

20. Deborah Levinson says:

I have an HP Envy 7640 printer & I refilled the original HP cartridge with the ink from 3rd party. ( It was Epson ink purchased before 2000 stored in a foil wrapper so it had not dried up). You have to let it sit for 8 hours after refilling for it to properly saturate the sponge that is now used. I popped it back in and it worked just fine. I think it gave me a warning that my ink levels were low & I had to do some test prints to get the ink to work through the printhead but it was easily worth the cost savings. I saw a video that shows HP only fills their cartridges to 1/3 capacity so I did not feel bad. It is so sad that HP went downhill, it was the paragon of excellence 30 years ago but not today.

21. JRP says:

HP Officejet Pro 7740 printers are effected by the April 2019 firmware update. With the new firmware installed, 3rd party cartridges and/or refilled HP cartridges will no longer work. In addition, if a any one particular color cartridge is empty, the printer will stop printing all documents – B&W or color – until the empty cartridge is replaced.

HP just finalized a lawsuit on this same issue in April 2019, but with a different size cartridge.

The new “lock-out” appears to be for ANY HP Inkjet printer that uses 952/952XL or 953/953XL cartridges:

HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 All-in-One Printer
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8746 All-in-One Printer
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8747 All-in-One Printer
    HP OfficeJet 7740 All-in-One Printer
    HP OfficeJet 8702 All-in-One Printer
    HP OfficeJet 8715 All-in-One Printer
    [Source: inkjet411.com/?page_id=8648]

I could not get the inkjet411.com workaround to work, but maybe you will have better luck.

22. RSB says:

Sorry to clutter this HP thread with a comment about a Brother printer but am having the same issue as you all with recent Brother firmware update making non-new (refilled) Brother cartridges get flagged as incompatible.

I just wonder about the link in this posting on downgrading firmware which also includes verbiage about the US Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act and also EU regulations which purportedly make it illegal to force users to buy OEM ink cartridges.

It seemed that the implication was that what HP/Brother is doing is illegal but I don’t see anyone here talking about how to have this law enforced. Isn’t that something taht should be done?

It seems that HP was forced to update their firmware to restore ability to use 3rd party inks when they did this back in 2016. That route cannot be forced on them again?

Also, how come no one speaks of downgrading their firmware to continue using their printer (using the instructions provided in that link)? And if that’s a workable solution, I don’t suppose anyone would know where I could get instructions for downgrading the firmware on my Brother printer, would you? (Brother MFC-J480DW)

Sigh… (and thanks for any pointers/help) — And I hope you all find a solution for this HP baloney…

(By the way — in my case, I am using the original OEM Brother cartridges that I worked out how to put a ink refill hole into to refill them. These refilled Brother cartridges are being flagged as invalid so it seems the firmware must be storing something on the cartridge itself to say that it has been used down to empty so it will not allow that cartridge to be re-installed and used again)

• Beverly Ward says:

8/23/2019 Hello, I am having the same issue with my Brother printer and third party ink cartridges. My Brother printer does not recognize the third party cartridges. I thought that this was illegal.I will there was some way to find out.

23. Billy says:

I cant believe how greedy a company like HP has become! I spend $200 on the printer, then they want me to pay $200 for genuine ink refills when all depleted! It’s no wonder we naturally look for a much more affordable option when it comes to ink.
    If their price was more reasonable, they could still control the market. But once they realize they are losing millions on ink due to reasonable 3rd party ink manufacturers, they decide I’ll secretly sabotage all my customers and put the knife in their backs!!
    That’s a classic mafia move!
    You’ve lost my business indefinitely!!!

24. James Talbott says:

We had the same problems with our two 8710. It just stopped accepting third party cartridges with no warning in early August 2019 (when a cartridge ran out.) I operate a couple of businesses using HP printers and I will never buy HP again. HP seems to think you can just go down the block and get ink. My businesses are in rural areas and the nearest Staples is 75 miles away, one way. It takes half a day to get down there and back while all printing business stops because of HP’s firmware that locks out your printer. From now on it’s Brother printers for me and I used to always buy HP.

25. JJ J says:

Any update?
    Any answer from HP?

• guenni says:

No, HP went silent – there was also no storm in the Internet like it was 2016. Obviously the salami tactics worked for HP.