[German]Microsoft released version 0.20 of PowerToys for Windows 10 users on July 31, 2020. Included is a color picker tool (color selector). These tools are free and offer additional features for Windows 10.
The PowerToys yesterday and today
PowerToys were free programs under Windows 95/98, with which certain Windows features could be optimized or adapted. Inspired by the PowerToys project under Windows 95, some developers dared to restart. The intended was to give power users the ability to get more efficiency out of the Windows 10 shell and customize it for individual workflows. The announcement tool place at the beginning of May 2019 (Windows 10: PowerToys will come as Open Source). More information can be found in the articles linked at the end of this blog.
The PowerToys known from Windows 9x are also available in the version for Windows 10 Open Source and free of charge.
Version 0.20 released
The announcement of PowerToys version 0.30 was made a few days ago, the release was on June 31, 2020 by developer Clint Rutkas – here is his tweet
Just released 0.20 for #powerToys. Quality improvements plus 3 new features. Shortcut to key/key to shortcut for KBM remapping, a system wide Color picker, and SVG File explorer icon rendering :) https://t.co/PIzuVSXOpp
— Clint Rutkas (@ClintRutkas) July 31, 2020
Goals for the 0.20 release cycle were to add some new features and also to put a strong focus on stability / quality corrections. From this approach, Martin has brought Chrzan to contribute a new utility, the Color Picker – which was originally scheduled for 2021. Chris Davis also helped contribute SVG icon support for the File Explorer. Between versions 0.19 and 0.20, the developers also discovered performance and memory issues in PowerToys Run. The most important of these were fixed in versions 0.19.1 and 0.19.2. Here is the change-log:
- Martin Chrzan’s Color Picker was added in! With a quick Win+Shift+C, get the color from your screen
- File Explorer – Can now render SVG icons thanks to Chris Davis
- FancyZones – you can now snap to any number of zones in FancyZones holding Shift+Ctrl while dragging a window
- PT Run – keyboard interaction improvements
- PT Run – freshly installed apps are now being detected
- PT Run – Lots of perf and bug fixes
- Keyboard manager – app level shortcuts
- Example: For Outlook, Remap Ctrl+F to F4 and now Ctrl+F will put up the find window :)
- Keyboard manager – Now can remap key to shortcut and shortcut to key.
- Settings – Now has improved OOBE based on the work the Microsoft Garage Interns did during their hackathon
- PowerRename improvements
The Color Picker does not work if the PowerToys are running with elevated privileges. The installer and description can be found on this GitHub page.
Windows 10: First Open Source PowerToys released
PowerToys v0.12 Beta released
PowerToys v0.13 released
PowerToys 0.14.0 released
PowerToys 0.14.1 released
Windows 10: PowerToys get QuickLauncher
PowerToys 0.15.0 released
Windows 10: PowerToys Version 0.16 released
Windows PowerToys 0.16.1 released
PowerToys 0.17 with Auto Update released
PowerToys 0.18 with Run launcher released
PowerToys 0.18.2 released
PowerToys 0.19 released
PowerToys 0.19.1 with bug fixes (change log)
PowerToys 0.19.2 released
Cookies helps to fund this blog: Cookie settings